CONVERSATION HOST, WRITER, ASPIRING MASTER OF INVITATION
This little fable based on a 2019 dream is one way to say something about me and what’s important to me.
Here are some facts:
- I live in the town of Perth, Ontario, near Canada’s capital, Ottawa.
- Raised as a Catholic with early thoughts of becoming a priest but lost that faith in university.
- Caught up in the drama and furor of the 60s.
- Worked as freelance editor, government writer, and for small publications, especially Everyman Men’s Journal (dubbed best men’s publication by Warren Farrell) for which I was the first editor and frequent contributor. Wrote some 80 articles, columns and stories for it.
- Worked as a freelance editor
- I successfully or crazily avoided a one-path full-time career and have been a long-term student of many forms of self-development under various spiritual and worldly teachers – and under none.
- Co-developer of some nine Canadian conferences focused on men’s issues and development, attended by women and men.
- A Focusing Trainer since 1995. Focusing is a way of self-directed therapy and emotional literacy that can be taught to others.
- A 4Gateways Coach since about 2007. 4Gateways is a method of evoking soul wisdom developed by ritual elder Tom Daly.
- Small groups have been a lifeline for me. I’ve spent a lot of time exploring how participation in groups helps our self-development.
- Offered or co-offered online groups for international organizations
- I continue to learn that group work is a gift that keeps on giving and have offered (and more often co-offered) many hundreds of hours of group exploration in WE-SPACES online.
- Much influenced by Bert Hellinger’s Family Constellations and came to realize more about the importance of systems.
- Hellinger’s idea about conscience is connected to personal loyalties opened up a door for me that I developed the idea in this essay, The Singular Place of Dual Blessing, and then much further in my book Evolutionary YOU.
- I’ve long been in a local group doing Dialogue, after David Bohm and sometimes offer a way of working with David Bohm’s Dialogue online.
- I lived off-grid in the country for some time before selling my place and moving to town.
- I ‘m keenly interested in climate and sustainability and how activism benefits from new and “deeper” ways of communicationg. I’m connected to Extinction Rebellion and Deep Adaptation.
- I agree with Professor Jem Bendell and his formulation that (paraphrasing) collapse is inevitable, catastrophe probable, and extinction possible.
- I’ve been a keen canoeist and outdoorsman.
- Not eating any animal products has been a good teacher for me.
- I like singalongs, great writing and Aki Karismaki movies
- I like to watch educational youtube videos focused on big issues, gender issues, free speech and transpartisanship, sustainability.
- And then sometimes there’s music.