CONVERSATION HOST, WRITER, ASPIRING MASTER OF INVITATION
So many ways to tell about oneself. This little fable, based on a dream from February 2019, takes a very non-linear route to say something about me and what I’m doing.
Here are some facts:
- I live in the town of Perth, Ontario, near Canada’s capital, Ottawa. There are three Andrew MacDonald’s there so I add in my middle name.
- Raised as a Catholic with early thoughts of becoming a priest but left that behind in university
- Worked as freelance editor, government writer, and for small publications, especially Everyman Men’s Journal for which I was the first editor and frequent contributor (dubbed best men’s publication by Warren Farrell). Wrote some 80 articles, columns and stories for it.
- Worked as a freelance editor
- I successfully or crazily avoided a one-path full-time career and have been a long-term student of many forms of self-development under various spiritual and worldly teachers – and under none.
- Co-developer of some nine Canadian conferences focused on men’s issues and development, attended by women and men.
- A Focusing Trainer since 1995. Focusing is a way of self-directed therapy and emotional literacy that can be taught to others.
- A 4Gateways Coach since about 2007. 4Gateways is a method of evoking soul wisdom developed by ritual elder Tom Daly.
- Small groups have been a lifeline for me. I’ve spent a lot of time exploring how participation in groups helps our self-development.
- I offer online groups for international organizations
- And ongoingly, groups for individuals too, especially in the light of the changing time, the climate crisis and uncertain future.
- I fell in love with Bert Hellinger’s Family Constellations and came to realize that working in a system was more effective for me than working on self alone.
- Hellinger’s ideas about invisible loyalties and how our conscience is about being faithful to them opened up a new pathway that changed my life. I developed the idea in this essay, The Singular Place of Dual Blessing, and then much further in my book Evolutionary YOU.
- A new book on capacity building for an uncertain future is coming soon soon.
- I continue to learn that group work is a gift that keeps on giving and have offered (and more often co-offered) many hundreds of hours of group exploration in WE-SPACES online.
- I’ve been in a local group doing Dialogue, after David Bohm and sometimes offer a way of working with David Bohm’s Dialogue online.
- I developed Hello Climate Change!, a way of approaching climate change using powerful questions (as developed by Peter Block)o n seeing the future as something that is not just “out there in the future” but in here now. If you’re on my mailing list you’ll hear about next iterations.
- I lived off-grid in the country for some time before selling my place and moving to town.
- I ‘m keenly interested in climate and sustainability and am an Extinction Rebellion rebel. I feel we should do all we can to make things better. I agree with Professor Jem Bendell and his formulation that (paraphrasing) collapse is inevitable, catastrophe probable, and extinction possible.
- I’ve been a keen canoeist and outdoorsman.
- Not eating any animal products has been a good teacher for me.
- I like singalongs, great writing and Aki Karismaki movies
- I love to watch educational youtube videos focused on big issues, gender issues, free speech and transpartisanship, sustainability. And then sometimes there’s music.
New connections change us. Join my mailing list to connect with me through ideas and live interactions – and to connect me to you. I hope you do! It’s really about mutual exploration and discovering the road as we walk it together.